Skip to main content

Am I finished?


So here's what I have been working on for my dad. It is huge (30" x 40"). For months, the white canvas just stayed wrapped up in the plastic, because I didn't know how to handle it. But I finally found the courage to bust open the plastic and add a little paint and paper. I really like how it has turned out, but I'm not sure whether it's finished. I was working on a large B&W print of my girls to hang in the top 3rd, but now I'm not liking how the photo turned out. The color isn't quite right and the words I've added don't have the same effect I was going for in my head. So now it's back to the drawing board. Or maybe it is finished. Maybe it has been finished. By adding a picture over top, my girls were going to become the art and my artwork was going to fade into the background. But by leaving it as is, I feel a bit exposed, like "Here I am. Here's my art." Hmm....

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think it's gorgeous, as is.

Sometimes we are too close to our work and keep adding and adding, when it's better to be a bit bare and strip some things away (a bit like life really!!).

I was once told "don't be afraid of white" - meaning it's okay to have space within a piece of work.

And sometimes being exposed is a good thing :).
(Gosh - I wish I could take my own advice sometimes, haha!)
x
Anonymous said…
I really like the flowers at the bottom!
Kerri said…
i love the colors- i bet your dad will love it!!

so...is it finished?
Anonymous said…
I adore those colours! I really love it how it is! Do not let yourself fade away!

Btw, I ♥ that sparrow tin. :)
Stina Glaas said…
Thanks fo yuor kind comment! :-) It's kind of funny, becuse when I read this blog post earlier today, I felt that your thoughts about it was so much alike my thoughts about my "concrete painting". And they looked a bit alike with that "empty space". :-)
Have you decided what do to? Are you going to leave it like it is? :-)
Jen said…
I love this piece! It really is lovely and I know just how you feel about the blank canvas. I have a few sitting in my art room right now. Think I might have to do what you did and just get them out and toss some color on and begin.

It looks great as is but try it with the photo- if you don't like it you take it off. But live with it for a few days before you truly decide. That's my thought. :)

Thanks for being brave and sharing!
danasparkle said…
It is a gorgeous piece. Be brave and sit with it a while. listen to the whispers on the inside. your heart already knows....
thanks for sharing
*
I AM finished! I gave it to my dad today and he really liked it =)