Skip to main content

The Plan

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans” ~John Lennon
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow"

Do you ever find yourself so wrapped up in planning that you don't get around to doing? For instance, as a kid I remember playing with dolls or cars and taking a ton of time to set up and build the perfect house or city, yet I would "play" just a little? Or in college, I would spend lots of time making color coded study schedules for different classes when really I should've just been studying. Well right now I am falling victim to this planning vs. doing.

If you visited before you may know that I've really been trying to embrace "now" (trying not to worry so much about the past or wait for the "perfect" future). But I seem to be slipping into old ways. I find myself reading books, writing lists, watching tv programs, and following websites about living a healthy and happy life. I am reading and learning all the things I need and want to do, but I'm having trouble DOing them. I've fallen off course a bit and can't seem to get back on track. I am stuck in planning mode. It's just so easy for me to plan. I love to plan. I suppose it makes sense. My mom just commented about being raised a boy scout, being prepared for any situation. And you could say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And to be prepared you must plan.

But this is life. I've got to stop preparing and planning for life. Life is to be lived, right? It's important to plan and be prepared as long as it doesn't interfere with living. And right now I think I need to readjust. It's time to stop spending all my time planning. It's time to DO!

Comments

Sally said…
Another great post, Jen. Also, we have that outfit! ;)
scrapwordsmom said…
Oh I DO love this...planning vs. doing. Genius! I am very guilty of this one.
Rebekah said…
You know, I just got done flipping through a pile of magazines and got so upset...they all the same thing...how to get/be happy, how to have less stress...yadda, yadda!!! But I like your post, it's time to quit reading and DO...and doing comes by just, well, doing it!! Enough planning, just step out and do stuff. Love your posts..you put my thoughts into words better than I can!
Sandie said…
Hi Jen, thank you for visit my blog and leaving a comment. I love this post. I can certainly relate to what you say! I've just bought a book, 'The War of Art' by Steven Pressfield. It's about procastination, and resistence. It's quite a good read and he said the things we most avoid are the things we most need to face & do. Apparently Tolstoy had 13 children & wrote War & Peace! No excuses for us then!