Skip to main content

Fly High, Dream Big!

As I mentioned in my last post, I have a new toy--a new sewing machine! I got it last weekend and I've done something with it everyday since then, including some beginner classes yesterday.

If you've looked around my site before you might have stumbled across past sewing projects, including tons of bears, and you might be asking "beginner classes?" But truly I am a beginner. I may have been sewing for years, but I don't really know how.

I never took home-ec class. I took drafting and was a band nerd, leaving no time in the schedule for something useful like home-ec. My mom sewed a little, but I really only saw her mending stuff and that didn't grab my interest (mending just wasn't my thing). My grandma was a great seamstress. She sewed amazing things, including clothes for my mom's Barbie doll, but we didn't live close enough to see her in action.

I've dabbled and faked it, but now that I have a new, nice machine, I wanted to learn more technique. So I was able to start taking a few classes at a local sewing shop and I was amazed by all the stuff I had been ignoring. I had no idea about the different types of needles, threads, fabrics, and stitches. It's so exciting to learn and my mind is just racing with ideas.

I did a little dabbling this past week before my classes, and was still pretty thrilled by the outcome. A while back I discovered a series of beautiful sewing books written by Tone Finnanger. Her books and projects are absolutely dreamy. This week I was lucky enough to find one at JoAnn's with a 50% coupon, Sew Sunny Homestyle. And I had to run home and try my hand at a few projects.

I'll share more of my projects when I can get better pictures, but I just had to share my favorite today--a sweet little bird (the picture doesn't do her justice). When I started I didn't know what I was going to do with this bird, but as I saw her come together my vision became clear. I mixed together a little wire work (inspired by Jen Swift), embroidered some ribbon with the words "Fly High, Dream Big," and now she is the perfect birthday present for my flyer friend, Sylvia. I can't wait to give it to her! And I can't wait to make more!

Comments

Kelly Warren said…
very sweet little bird. i'm a closet sewer myself. my grandmother was an amazing seamstress (made my wedding dress) and i picked up a few things from her, and then i took a class in college, but i've never actually made clothes! i make a bag or pillow now and then but now i'm starting add sewing into mixed media and that's very fun. i love sewing on paper! and i took drafting and was a band nerd too!
Baxter's Mom said…
Thank you sooo much, Jen!!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my birdie!!! I have it hanging from my ceiling fan pull for now...but will definitely find a permanent place for it and get pictures! You are such a wonderful friend...and I always enjoy our lunches together!
danasparkle said…
what lovely fresh energy for creating and learning. yay for you and the wonderful little birds you are making in the future. fly with them, and soar...
*