Skip to main content

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.....or was it?

Does anyone remember reading, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day? It used to be a favorite of mine. Yesterday, Rebecca was reading it at school while I seemed to be living it. It was just one of those days.

I woke up to a dreary, rainy day, not your typical California spring day. I had stayed up too late the night before enjoying the quiet of a sleeping house, so I was now exhausted. My mind was also distracted because we were awaiting medical test results for a loved one. Ultimately, the day turned out fine. Good news came back from the doctor. But for the majority of the day, it was terrible, horrible, no good, and very bad.

This seemed to be even more exaggerated when I got to work. With my sour mood came sour patients. Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking my mood out on my patients (nobody got an eye poked out, remember I am an eye doctor). It just seemed like my bad day was bringing in the crankier and more demanding patients. My negative mood seemed to be affecting my world, hmmm..... I've been trying my best to choose happiness, but as you know somedays it can be tough. But wow! What a connection between my outlook and my world.

As the day went on, things did get better. I learned the test results were good, I enjoyed some time at home with my family, I watched two of my happy shows, Glee and Raising Hope, and I got to bed at a decent hour.

And what a difference that has made for today. I woke up early enough to run (coming home just minutes before rain). I've had a schedule full of more positive patients (more of what I'm accustomed to). I've received some fun emails, like the confirmation that my article for Create With Me will be in the first issue! Yeah!

So I know it's hard to be happy all the time. I was just reminded of this first hand. But what a difference a more positive mood makes. So if things seem to be getting you down remember to keep your chin up, focus on the positive, and be happy!

Comments

sjoprice said…
Running SETS the TONE for my days! There's nothing like the smell of endorphins in the morning. :) I completely agree with the notion that crankiness/grouchiness seems to beget more grouchiness. I'm so glad you posted this, as I've been struggling with it too. Isn't Raising Hope hilarious? Glee just goes without saying. Another guaranteed good time--Modern Family.
Rebekah said…
You know, there's definitely something the getting to bed on time and early morning runs...why can't we make ourselves do it everyday?? So happy to hear you are still running! What week in the training are you on? And what book was it a few posts ago or more that you were reading about keeping away from sugar, eating better etc??
Christina Tryon said…
Congratulations on the article-how exciting! My daughter (now 17) LOVES that book :)
Deborah Tisch said…
I love the Alexander books, especially that one! So true how our days are affected by our moods, and you expressed it so well here.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind remarks!
one of my favorite books and the funny thing is, my girl came home from preschool the other day and asked, "mom have you heard of Alexander and the horrible horrible day?" why yes I have...
Rebekah said…
Hey Jen, I'm not on FB at all, sorry, but I do twitter a little!!