Skip to main content

One foot in front of the other

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” ~Lao Tzu

“One step at a time is good walking” ~Chinese Proverb

I am excited to say that I am taking action. I am making things happen. And how am I doing this? I am taking tasks that were once overwhelming and breaking them down into more manageable pieces. I like things broken down into pieces. When I break things down, I get things done. That way I can take it one step at a time. When I think about it, this most obviously applies to decluttering my home this summer. But I'm also starting to see a pattern.

For instance, I imagine that this is why the C25K program successfully turned me from couch potato to a 5K runner (just as it promises). And this must be why, while watching my husband's beginning ice hockey class last night, I found myself thinking, "Hey, that looks like fun." I've never had the yearning to play ice hockey (nor do I think I do now), but the instructor was just so good at breaking things down that he made it look fun and doable.

When things are broken down, it's just easier to face. Simpler to do.

So let me finish with some inspiration from a song that's been playing in my head, Put One Foot in Front of the Other from Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. Yes, you're reading that correctly. I am quoting the song sung by ol' Kris Kringle to the Winter Warlock in the classic Christmas special. You know there's only 100 days til Christmas come Friday. Exciting!

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

You never will get where you’re going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

If you want to change your direction
If your time of life is at hand
Well don’t be the rule be the exception
A good way to start is to stand

Comments