Skip to main content

We are all special

When I stop to think about it, the internet is an amazing place. For me, it's a great source of creative inspiration with so many wonderful blogs and sites like Pinterest. Sites like Facebook provide me with a sense of community and a simple way to stay in touch with friends. While I strive to get fit, I have found motivation and support from friends on Facebook, posters on Pinterest, and tools from Weight Watchers. It's been a true blessing.

But sometimes it can be a source of insecurity. Sometimes you can't help but compare yourself to what you see out there. I've caught myself wondering how other bloggers balance the pressures of life, especially motherhood, with building a creative business. How do they find the time to come up with so many projects and blog posts, and take care of their family and home? Or I sometimes wonder why can't I run that fast? Or why is it so much harder for me to lose weight? Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera... If I'm not careful, I can be filled with so many insecure thoughts that my head spins.

But I am now starting to appreciate the flaws in my thinking. Yay me! Everyone is different. Unique. Special. Life demands and responsibilities, dreams and desires, abilities, priorities are all different. And what we often see is only a glimpse into someone else's world. Maybe just the surface. What we share and show somebody on the outside is a choice. We can choose to let it all hang out and share our true self, "weaknesses" and all. Or we can just share our best, what we are most proud of. It's our choice.

But what we see, and focus on, is also a choice. We can choose to compare ourselves to others, only knowing part of their story. Or we can choose to appreciate that everyone is unique. Everyone's lives are different. Circumstances and demands vary. We all live life from our own, unique perspective. We are all special. We all have a unique story to share with the world and we can choose how we share it. I'm an open-book, let-it-all-hang-out kind of girl much of the time, but I do keep some stuff to myself, too. No matter how I choose to share, or see the world around me, I will do my best to remember not to compare myself. And I am special!

"Comparison is the thief of joy" ~Theodore Roosevelt

Comments

Rebekah said…
Oh Jen, this is a wonderful post. I love how you and a few others I blog read have such a wonderful way of expressing your thoughts that are also mine but I don't seem to take the time or know how to get them into words. This has been SO much on my mind lately too. And don't think for once that I do 1/4 of what I pin!!! It's all so very inspiring though. :) Hugs!
Colleen said…
This is so timely, I have been struggling for some reason with comparing myself with others. I know I am unique and special and I loose site of that whenever I start comparing myself to others. Thanks much for this.