Skip to main content

Storytelling


Are you a storyteller? I am discovering that I am. Now, I don't mean the kind of storytelling I started on Monday on with the Marathon Mondays. Not the kind where you are retelling a great adventure or sharing an interesting experience with a friend. Or the kind of stories that you might tell your children about knights and princesses and dragons, etc. I mean the made-up "stories," or lies, you tell yourself, like "I can't do ____, because I'm not _____."

Earlier this week, thanks to Tiffany and an eye-opening conversation, I began to realize that I am quite the storyteller. I often tell myself "stories" about things that aren't necessarily true. For instance, I used to tell myself I couldn't lose weight because it's too hard or I couldn't be an athlete because I'm not coordinated. But I finally recognized these things as untrue "stories" so now I've lost 40lbs and I'm a long distance runner training for a marathon (cool, huh?).

But my recent conversation with Tiffany also made me realize that there are even more stories I keep telling myself. Stories that aren't inherently true. Things that I have the power to change if I choose to. Realizing that just about everything could be viewed this way has really shaken me up. Everything I've viewed as "that's just the way I am" doesn't have to be that way. I "write" the stories, so I can "rewrite" them. I can change anything I want to change. I can do anything I set my mind to. It may not be easy, but it can be possible. Anything is possible. Anything!

So what stories are you telling yourself?

Comments

Teresa said…
"It's never too late--in fiction or in life--to revise."