Skip to main content

Help is key

As I've mentioned before, I joined Weight Watchers this past January which led me to finally lose the weight I had struggled with since college. In fact, I lost 42 lbs total and this week I achieved Lifetime status. Before joining Weight Watchers, I had tried countless combinations of diets and workout routines, but I had little long-term success. Nothing seemed to stick. Even doing the Couch to 5K program and running several 5Ks last year didn't help me lose weight. But running did break my previous pattern, since I actually enjoyed it and wanted to continue. But something more would need to happen for me to successfully lose weight. And this year I finally figured out what the extra something was:

I needed help.

Seems simple enough, right? Well it's taken me years, practically my lifetime, to come to this "simple" realization. Being raised strong and independent, I'm often most comfortable being in control and solving my own problems. But trying to do it all alone is sometimes just too much. It can be exhausting. And even though I struggled with this at first, I have realized that just because I am capable of doing everything on my own doesn't mean that I should. So rather than continue figuring out the right foods to eat and the right exercises to do on my own, I decided to get help.

Weight Watchers came to mind since it was well-established and I knew several friends that had been successful with it. I felt Weight Watchers could provide me a tried and true system to guide me in my food choices and activities, so I could stop using up my energy just trying to figure out what to do. I also wanted something that would lead to lifelong changes, not just another "diet" (i.e. temporary fix). I had considered Weight Watchers in the past, but I was never willing to make the investment in myself. Not to mention I was nervous about attending meetings. But I took a leap this year.

So I attended my first Weight Watchers meeting in January. And life was never the same. I originally thought I just needed Weight Watchers for the tools to help me make and track better food choices. But I gained so much more. I attend the weekly meetings led by Teresa Rose and her warm, outgoing personality attracts a wonderful collection of people both to her meetings and her Facebook page. She brings together a community of individuals daring to believe that things can be different. A community taking steps towards an active and healthy lifestyle. A community willing to set goals and reach for them. I instantly felt a strong connection and was amazed at what a difference this made. Not only has Weight Watchers provided me help with its tools and proven system, but I also gained support, camaraderie, and inspiration. It is hard not to leave a meeting inspired by something or someone and I absolutely love that.

Comments

Jenna Hales said…
congratulations on becoming a lifetime member and reaching your goal! That's inspiring and wonderful!
Teresa said…
Wow, that is very sweet. Thank you, Jennifer.
I felt exactly the same way when I joined almost 16 years ago. It was hard to take the $ and time when my children were young and I thought that I should be able to make the changes on my own. Thank goodness I did because I get to live in a world where people geuinely want to help each other and live healthier lifestyles.
You are the best! Congratulations!!!
Michelle said…
Congrats on becoming a lifetime member! About 10 years ago, I joined Weight Watchers and successfully lost weight on their program. I was completely amazed at how much I enjoyed going to the weekly meetings and how motivated I felt after each meeting.

Great job on your weight loss!!!