Skip to main content

I am what I believe

Hmm... So what do I mean by this? Let me explain. It started with a few seemingly unrelated ideas.

The first bit came last fall from a conversation I had with Tiffany Han, a wonderfully inspiring life coach. It was brought to my attention that things that I had always thought were inherently true about myself didn't have to be that way. If I wanted to change something, I could. I was the storyteller of my life and I could rewrite the story if I so desired. I had that power. Hmm...

Then, last month, I finished watching the 14th season of NBC's the Biggest Loser. I've only watch one other season, but both times I found it incredibly inspiring. And one of the contestants, Jackson, at one point said, "Weight loss is 100% mental. You have to want it more than anything." Now from reading people's comments on Facebook, not everyone embraces this point of view. But I recognized its value. I had seen this in my own weight loss journey, as well as in long distance running (very mental). It's all about choices. But why stop there? Isn't just about everything in life about choices? So you could say that "Life is 100% mental." It's all about perspective and the choices you make. Hmm...

After watching both Brené Brown episodes of Super Soul Sunday on Oprah (very inspiring stuff), I started watching more Super Soul Sundays and Life Classes. So I recently caught Oprah's Life Class with Joel Osteen and was intrigued by his message about positive self-talk and respecting the power of statements that start with I AM. "Whatever follows I AM is going to come looking for you." Hmm...

And that led to the simple but powerful reminder that I am what I believe I am. I write my own stories and I have a choice. I choose how I view things and I how I react to things. I choose what to do and where to use my energy. I choose how to see myself. I can get down on myself or I can choose to be positive. It may not always come naturally but it's worth it to try, to believe in myself. I can be what I believe myself to be. And you can, too. You can even make "impossible" things happen if you truly believe (that's what my marathon taught me). Hmm...

Comments