Skip to main content

Embracing my perfect imperfect life

Running on Inspiration #29:
Only accepting "all-or-nothing" can sometimes mean not even trying. But something is better than nothing, right? Don't let the need to be perfect stop you from starting. It all adds up. It all counts. Especially the "in-between" stuff.

Things worth doing don't always come easy. Often these things take constant effort. Both the obvious effort to get it done, but also the effort it takes to remember what it is that you want to get done. What I find myself working to remember is that being perfect is not the goal. And I'm not saying I'm a perfectionist, because I am not. At least not the stereotype I have in my head. I do not have a pristine house (I'm an awful housekeeper) and I'm the first to say "that's good enough," especially when working on a craft project.

Yet I do find myself constantly falling into the trap of an "all-or-nothing" way of thinking, which is no different than expecting perfection in those instances. Like when I don't have time to write a well thought out blog post, so I don't write any. Or when I feel I don't have time to organize and scrapbook Katherine's first 5 years of life, so I don't do any. Or when I overeat at lunchtime and then think that I might as well overdo it the rest of the day since I'm already off track. I could go on.

But the point is, it doesn't need to be "all-or-nothing." There is a whole lot in between all and nothing. And it's that stuff in between that adds up. Its really the stuff in between that is life. The making choices, doing and trying different things, taking things one step at a time, one day at a time, one moment at a time. An imperfect life is the perfect, well-lived life.

Comments