Skip to main content

Merry moments

It seems like over the past several years, I've seen a lot of emphasis placed on doing what you love. Doing what you love brings great joy and who doesn't want to be happy? But so often we jump immediately to the big stuff like "Am I happy in my career? No? Then change careers." But really, the small stuff can be just as important, if not more important. It's the small, day-to-day stuff that can really add up.

Why do I bring this up? It's silly really, but for the past two mornings, during my morning runs, I've listened to my Pandora Christmas music station. I'm currently trying to keep my runs slow as I ease back into the routine, and my normal music mix just gets me going too fast. So I tried a country music mix for a few mornings, which I enjoyed. But yesterday I thought why not give Christmas music a try. I love everything Christmas, especially the music. I'm such a sucker for Bing Crosby and White Christmas. But then I felt a bit silly. And then I thought, "So what! If listening to Christmas music in August makes me happy, then so be it. It's not bothering anyone, and it makes my heart smile."

And this little mental exchange reminded me that leading a happy life is about doing what makes you happy. This includes the big things, like career, kids, marriage, etc., but it also includes the small stuff, like listening to Christmas music in August (at least for some of us). And really, isn't it the small stuff that's really the big stuff in disguise?

Comments

Jacee said…
One, I am not surprised you are listening to Christmas music. Seriously. Two, I will worry if you are running around with a Santa hat or reindeer antlers in August. Then again, if you are happy and the antlers don't mess with your perhipheral vision, I guess I should not be concerned. I guess the small stuff can be big stuff when we are talking Christmas!