Skip to main content

52 Weeks from the Heart

I'm starting a creative adventure for 2015 which I will refer to as 52 Weeks from the Heart. While frantically making 30 art pieces in 30 days for the local art gallery last year, I listened to various music playlists and podcasts, including Tiffany Han's podcast, Raise Your Hand and Say Yes. In the interview with artist Jen Hewitt, Jen spoke of having a "passion project." For the entire year of 2014, she explored and learned about print making by giving herself a weekly project. I was really intrigued by this idea.

A passion project seemed like a wonderful way to stay inspired while learning and practicing new and old creative techniques. It seemed like it could provide me the structure I sometimes thrive on, like a training plan for a race. It could encourage me to continue creating throughout the year, giving me an outlet for my emotions. It could give me a regular push to keep creating and being open to life. It sounded like a valuable adventure to begin, so over the course of the holidays, I asked myself what I'd like to learn and explore if I did a passion project. My answer: 52 Weeks from the Heart. 

Each week I hope to explore different craft and lettering techniques by creating a piece of art celebrating inspiring words and quotes. Over the years, I've really grown to love lettering and words and inspirational quotes. And what better way to embrace life than by focusing on uplifting words and ideas! I am a collector by nature, so I do have a large quote collection to pull inspiration from. And I've been collecting creative hobbies like crazy, so it seems like a great way to combine two passions. I plan to focus on a monthly material or technique, with a more specific weekly project celebrating a different word/theme. I hope to share on the blog each Friday.

To start out, I'm taking it easy by featuring my word art this first week. This piece is one of the 30 I created for the gallery showing in December. It was created as a reminder to keep an open heart, with my word art, I usually decorate each letter using various materials like paper, paint, and ink. But in this piece, I created a collaged heart background and kept my letters simple by spray painting them white. Open wasn't my word for the year when I created this piece, or I just didn't know it yet. 

"When you live with an open heart, unexpected, joyful things happen."  ~Oprah Winfrey 

Comments

Kelly Warren said…
Great idea. I look forward to following along! Happy New Year!