Skip to main content

Getting Healthy in 2015

It's a new year full of hope and promise. A time of blank pages and fresh starts. There's an energy in the air. I'm going to take advantage of this energy and excitement and start a few things of my own as I open myself back up to life. After months of emotional eating and little motivation to move, it's time for me to get serious about my health. And here's my plan and pledge:

1. This year, 2015, I will travel at least 2015 miles by foot, whether it be the miles I walk daily or the miles I run as I train for race(s). This is inspired by Run the Edge's virtual race. I know many participating are only counting running miles or are working as teams, but after much consideration this plan is the best for me. 2015 miles would be too many miles for me to run only. There would be too high a risk of injury for me at this point. But 2015 miles, both run and walked, would be an amazing accomplishment. Too often the Fitbit that logs my walking miles is found on my nightstand rather than on my wrist, so this pledge should encourage me to wear it more and get moving even when I'm not running. 

2. I will run at least one half marathon this year, the Disney Tinkerbell Half. My plan is to follow a Jeff Galloway training plan as a prepare for the race on May 10th. His plans are featured on the Run Disney site and even though I've never used this method before, I'm open to doing things differently in order to regain my running motivation. My guess is the Disney race won't be my only race this year but it's a good start.

3. I will make a concerted effort to eat healthy. I gained an excessive amount of weight this year (~20 lbs) and it's time to do something about it. I have too much in my life to be grateful for to let my health continue to slip. It's time to return the support and inspiration of Weight Watcher meetings, the habit of tracking my food, the planning of meals, etc.. This has worked for me in the past and can work for me again.

4. I will share my progress here on the blog on the first Monday of each month, like a monthly health check. This serves the purpose of keeping me accountable, but it also encourages an openness I need. I spent a lot of 2014, "protecting" myself from further pain and loss by hiding from life and the world. But I know life is to be lived and shared. So this pledge is to encourage me to stay open as I move forward in life. 

So February 2nd, I plan to be back here sharing my progress as I regain control of my health. I know there may be a bump or two on the road ahead but as long as I believe in me and stay the course I am capable of these pledges. Time to get moving.

Comments

Sally said…
Go Jen!
Rebekah said…
Hmm, not sure which post I commented on, meant to be this one!!