Skip to main content

52 Weeks from the Heart: Believe


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that you can make anything happen. ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Today marks the start of a new month in my 52 Weeks from the Heart project. In January, I chose projects that utilized paper in some way. This month I'm excited to focus on something a bit different--Light. Each project this month will feature light in one way or another as I explore various weekly themes.

The theme I chose for this week is "Believe." "Believe" is a big word for me and my family. In fact, it was my younger daughter's first site word when learning to read since I have such a big "believe" collection hanging throughout the house. The reason for this is my relationship with my husband. We have "believe in the magic" engraved in our wedding rings because we first held hands at Disneyland, later got engaged in Disneyland, and then got married at Christmastime. There is nothing more magical for me than Christmas and Disney. So what better way to kick off the month of love, right? And not only am I reminded of the magic with "believe," but I also need to remember to believe in myself.

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

You don't become what you want, you become what you believe. ~ Oprah Winfrey

For my project, I decided to play with a string of white Christmas lights. I took a burlap covered canvas board and using a drill, I made holes for the lights. Since I used a burlap board rather than canvas, the holes didn't turn out as clean as I would have liked. I suspect the canvas board would have led to a cleaner outcome. I then carefully twisted wire for my word. Working with wire was challenging but fun. It'll probably show up again before the 52 Week project is finished.

This week's project was a fun way to use Christmas lights and timed itself nicely. The talented artist, Patience Brewster, with her precious figurines and ornaments, inspired me to share some extra ways I use Christmas decorations year round. I love Christmas time, so any way I can carry on the warmth and magic of the season is a good thing. My "Believe" project is by no means the only way I use Christmas lights. I have strung white lights from my craft room ceiling, balled them up in a glass cookie jar (it has such a beautiful glow), and of course have them hanging on my year round Christmas tree. I also showcase various ornaments on my white tree. It all provides the perfect warm and happy feeling when I am spending time in my creative space.

Comments

Debbie said…
Love your use of lights, hearts, and everything. Nicely done!
Thank you so much, Debbie. I finally figured out not to put all the Christmas decorations away one year since they make me happy. I love the glow of Christmas lights. ❤️