Skip to main content

The Sweet Life / OLW Blog Hop

Side by Side, originally uploaded by byjen
Here we are, another month into the year. It's One Little Word (OLW) Blog Hop time. It's time to check in with my OLW for the year, Clear. March seemed to bring less clarity for me than January and February, just as Ali Edwards mentioned. I seemed to lose touch with my word and became scattered in my thoughts and actions. I haven't completed March's OLW project on paper, but I did try to "take one little action."

My action was to start clearing out my bad eating habits. I needed to focus on eating less fat and sugar, and eating more fruit and vegetables. The first little step I took in the month was a shopping trip to Costco without the cheap hot dog for lunch. I've also been reading books that have me examining my troubled relationship with sugar. I'm a healthy eater for the most part, but when I do run into trouble, sugar is almost always involved. Yet it's hard to imagine giving up sugar completely. I gave it up for one week last year and what an eye opener that was. Sugar is in everything. And I have so many fond memories tied into sugar and desserts and baking. I seem to associate these things with love and i just about mourn the loss of these experiences when I think about giving up sugar. I want my daughters to have these same fond memories to cherish, but I also want us to live a healthy life. So as I struggled with this, I came to a realization. I am already building these same warm memories without food and without sugar. We've been doing it through art.

Both my girls love creating whether it be through drawing, painting, music, or dance. In fact, Rebecca, my oldest, started to proudly call herself an artist well before I was comfortable using the term for myself. Just the other day I spent the morning creating art with my little one, Katherine, and it was wonderful. And as unrelated as it may seem, this realization makes it a little less scary to tackle the topic of sugar and where it fits in my life and the life of my family. It'll be interesting to see what April brings.

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to visit the next blog stop, Sam at Learn. Create. Do.

Comments

Donna said…
ACK!!! Its so hard giving up sugar. And art with the little ones is so precious. Enjoy April
Sally said…
Nice epiphany regarding memories! I also tie a lot of happy memories to food--mostly sugary food. I think supplanting that with other things that bring you joy is a huge step. Giving up sugar completely would be very scary, but I think I definitely need to try moderating it.
kathryn ruddick said…
I love the canvasses you and Katherine created - and how different yet similar they are. Well done on your journey - and I love how your word is activating itself in your life :o)
Chrissy said…
Creating with our children is so much fun! I love the canvas art. I'm in love with your tree! I'm going to need to do a version of that for my craft room. I miss trees since I live in AZ!
Anonymous said…
Enjoyed your post, and I have the same struggles with sugar. And your canvas art--love, love, love the tree. Thanks for sharing!
Rebekah said…
Hey Jen! Love your post...what book did you read? Can you believe this is the very thing I'm struggling with, wondering how to tackle? I have terrible TOM issues and I really want to help it naturally w/out meds. So I'm looking into going less sugar.

Didn't sign up for Doodle 2. Like you, I just sign up for way too much and have hardly done anything with Doodle 1. :(

Love your creations in this post...gorgeous!
nicky said…
Oh sugar it is such a tough thing to give up. I work in a candy factory and every morning I go in with the goal of no sugar. You have inspired me to go in Monday with new resolve. Thanks. Good luck with your word in April.
Anonymous said…
LOVE the canvases! Beautiful! Sugar would have to be the hardest thing to give up...physically and emotionally. Love that you are substituting it with art :)
MonicaB said…
The art work is beautiful! I have a hard time with sugar and equating that with love. It's wonderful that you are creating a connection with art and love.
Beautiful and inspiring work!!!! Oh, I am so with you on the sugar addiction. I can't imagine giving it up. I'll have to look into it. Great job! xoxo
I am also in the sugar boat but my eye was drawn downward to that gorgeous golden flower pic in the post below. Did you take that one??? Wow. I would love to borrow it for a spring post.
jillconyers said…
Great action to take for clear this month. It's not easy but so worth it in the end.
Abbey said…
After a not at all good week food wise these are some great thoughts. I love that your kids love art too and hope mine do as well!
Margie S said…
I love the idea of replacing the good memories of food with something else nourishing but without calories. I used to do that consciously with scrapbooking and other crafts and you've reminded me that it is time to do that again! Thanks for an inspiring post. And thanks for joining in the blog hop!
Cheri said…
I'm fighting the same battle with sugar. I find that if I'm busy creating I forget I want it all the time - connection? Beautiful canvasses this month!